Medical Coding and Billing Job Facts
Facts you should know before you choose Medical Coding and Billing career
- Effective and Efficient Training is must
- Accuracy should be 100%
- Should know about the HIPAA titles.
- Salaries are very good compared to any other fields.
- New coding system (ICD-10) implementation from 2014 will bring more opportunities.
- Training is 100-150 hours (2-3 months)
- Recession proof career.
- During training student has to work atleast 3 hours per day (Coding Practice)
- Need to practice hundreds of Medical Records during training.
- Doctors (MBBS/BAMS/BHMS/BUMS/BPT/BNYS) can learn easily.
- Science students (B.Sc Micro/Bio Tech/Bpharm/Paramedical) are eligible. Most of Medical Coders in India are science students.
- MBA/MCA/BA/B.Com etc can also learn Medical Coding-But you need to take additional 80 hours training related to Anatomy and Physiology.
HIPAA: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. Per HIPAA, you need maintain Privacy and Security of the PHI (Protected Health Information)
- Should have Medical Coding and Medical Billing knowledge
- If you don't have Medical Coding knowledge, you should work as data entry operator, only Medical Billing knowledge is not useful.
- Must follow the Ethics and HIPAA guidelines.
- Must sign Agreement for 1-2 years
- Medical Coding job timings will be 8-5 PM-
- Medical Billing: 6 PM - 4 AM
- There are no fixed timings, some time you may need to discuss with US doctors, attend conferences etc.
- No holidays for Indian festivals, as you will be working for US process
- DON'T EXPECT THAT YOU CAN DO HOME BASED WORK EASILY. REQUIRES EXPERIENCE FOR HOME BASED WORK
- Don't expect high salaries initially, salaries are good in this field compared to others. Career growth and payment is performance based.
- Browse internet, do some home work before you choose trainer or employer.
- Future is very good in this field, when new coding system (ICD-10) implements in 2014, lots of work will be outsourced to India
Most of the students don't want to sign the agreement with the employer. Agreement is good thing. Take in positive way. Prefer to sign the agreement, Maximum 2 years, but make sure that you discuss the terms and conditions etc.
Why employer needs agreement:
Once you get the Job
- Employer spends 20,000 - 50,000 INR per employee for induction program
- American clients may involve in training
- You will be handling the key data of patients and doctors.
- HIPAA Laws are very strict.
- Once you become key resource, you will be handling complete account, key data etc
If the employee leaves the organization with short time, the employer/process suffers a lot, again they need to recruit new employee and spend money and time. If not employer may lose client, jobs will reduce and effects every one. Don't change the jobs frequently, no one prefers the people who changes jobs frequently.
Why you should sign the agreement
- Job Security: If employer needs agreement, means that you have talent, qualities of good coder/biller. Signing agreement, you will be more secure.
- Promotions: If you stick to one company, growth will be fast and you are honored as senior employee.
- Experience: Experience is must for career growth.
IF A COMPANY IS NOT PREFERING AGREEMENT MEANS THAT
- EITHER THEY ARE EMPLOYING YOU FOR TEMPORARY POSTS
- EMPLOYING FOR TRIAL WORK/PROJECTS
- YOU DON'T HAVE QUALITIES/ THEY ARE TESTING YOU
- ANY TIME YOU WILL BE TERMINATED WITH SHORT NOTICE
- Don't hesitate to sign agreement, discuss terms and conditions clearly
- Prepare to work any shift to get more knowledge
- Don't think about the payment initially, first you need experience, not salary.
- Prefer Night shift (American Timings) if possible
- Develop communication skills and good English
- Stick to one company for 1-2 years
- Plan for certification once you get experience